INSTRUCTIONS TO THE MIND
by Srila Narottam Das Thakur
Cooling like ten million moons, Nitai's lotus feet soothe the world with their shade. O brother! Without Nitai, you cannot reach Radha-Krishna. Firmly grasp Nitai's feet.
se sambandha nahi yara vrtha janma gela
The life of one who had no connection with Nitai passed in vain. Such an animal is very wicked. What will learning (aristocratic birth) do for one who was immersed in worldly pleasures and never called aloud, 'Nitai'?̇
ahankare matta haina nitai-pada pasariya
Maddened with pride, forgetting Nitai's feet, I accept untruth as truth. When Nitai bestows His mercy you will reach Radha-Krishna in Vraja. Grasp Nitai's feet!
nitaiyer charana satya tanhara sevaka nitya
Nitai's feet are truth, and His servants are eternal. Always aspire for Nitai's feet. Narottam is very sad: "O Nitai! Make me happy. Keep me beside your reddish feet."
THE JEWEL OF ALL TRANSCENDENTAL QUALITIES
by Srila Narottam Das Thakur
nitai gunamani amara nitai gunamani
Nitai, the jewel of all good qualities, my Nitai, the jewel of all good qualities, brought a flood of divine love and inundated the earth.
prema-vanya laye nitai aila gauda-dese
Nitai brought a flood of divine love to the land of Gauda. The devotees immersed themselves in it, but the unfortunate floated on its surface.
dina-hina patita pamara nahi bachhe
The sinful, unfortunate, and fallen did not desire this divine love, which is difficult for even Brahma to attain, yet Nitai begged them to accept it.
abaddha karuna-sindhu katiya muhana
Nitai cut a canal into the sealed ocean of mercy and a flood of nectarean divine love spread to every home.
lochan bale hena nitai yeba na bhajila
Lochan Das says, "Anyone who did not serve Nitai knowingly committed suicide."
SRI NITYANANDA RAYA—NEVER ANGRY AND EVER-BLISSFUL
by Srila Lochan Das Thakur
akrodha paramananda nityananda raya
The angerless, prideless, supremely joyful Nityananda Ray wanders throughout the towns.
adhama patita jiver dvare dvare giya
Going from door to door to the homes of the lowly and fallen souls, He distributes the Hare Krsna mahamantra.
yare dekhe tare kahe dante trna dhari'
With straw between His teeth, He says to whoever He sees, "Purchase Me: simply serve Gaurahari."
eta bali' nityananda bhume gadi yaya
Saying this, Nityananda rolls on the ground like a golden mountain rolling in the dust.
hena avatare yara rati na janmila
Lochan Das says of one who has not developed attachment to this Avatar, "Such a sinner simply came and went."
THE SACRED ORDER OF SRI CHAITANYA MAHAPRABHU
by Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur
nadiya-godrume nityananda mahajana
(1) In the land of Nadiya, on the island of Godruma, the magnanimous Lord Nityananda has opened up the Marketplace of the Holy Name, meant for the deliverance of all fallen souls.
(sraddhavan jan he, sraddhavan jan he)
(2) O people of faith! O people of faith! By the order of Lord Gauranga, O brothers, I beg these three requests of you: Chant "Krishna!", worship Krishna, and teach others about Krishna.
aparadha-sunya ho'ye laha krsna-nama
(3) Being careful to remain free of offences, just take the holy name of Lord Krishna. Krishna is your mother, Krishna is your father, and Krishna is the treasure of your life.
krsnera samsara kara chhadi' anachara
(4) Giving up all sinful activities, carry on your worldly duties only in relation to Lord Krishna. The showing of compassion to other souls by loudly chanting the Holy Name of Krishna is the essence of all forms of religion.
MY MOST MERCIFUL NITAI
by Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur
are bhai! nitai amara dayara avadhi!
(1) O brothers! My Lord Nitai's mercy is limitless! Bestowing His mercy upon the souls of this world He wanders from place to place perpetually offering the great treasure of ecstatic spiritual love to all.
advaitera sange ranga, dharane na jaya anga,
(2) Joyous in the association of Adwaita Acharyya He is so full of ecstatic love for His Lord Gauranga that He cannot remain standing. Repeatedly staggering, intoxicated with love, He raises His arms and chants, "Haribol!" as tears stream from His two lotus eyes.
kapale tilaka sobhe, kutila-kuntala-lole
(3) His forehead anointed with beautiful tilaka, His curling locks swaying to and fro, He wears a crown of red gunja berries. Blue garments decorate His waist which defeats that of a lion's beautiful waist and ankle bells tinkle upon His reddish lotus feet.
bhuvana-mohana vesa! majaila saba desa!
(4) His glorious beauty enchants the whole world! He inundates the entire world with the nectar of spiritual love! Overcome with ecstatic love, He smiles and loudly laughs and laughs! Lord Nityananda is my Master. He is the only source of spiritual joy for this world; and I, Vrindavan Das, sing His divine glories.
EIGHT PRAYERS GLORIFYING LORD NITYANANDA
by Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur
sarach-chandra-bhrantim sphurad-amala-kantim gaja-gatim
(1) I perpetually worship Sri Nityananda Prabhu, the root of the Krishna-bhakti tree, whose bright face outshines the full autumn moon, whose pure complexion glistens, whose gait is like that of an intoxicated majestic elephant, who is always mad in Krishna-prema, who is the personification of pure spiritual energy, whose face wears a gentle smile, whose eyes are always rolling due to His absorption in Krishna-prema, whose lotus hand gracefully carries a staff, and who, by the performance of Nama-sankirttan, pierces the influence of kali-yuga.
rasanam agaram svajana-gana-sarvasvam atulam
(2) I perpetually worship Sri Nityananda Prabhu, the root of the Krishna-bhakti tree, who is the mainstay of all rasas (mellows of devotional service), who is the be-all and end- all of His devotees, who is beyond compare, who is the master of both Vasudha and Jahnava-devi who consider Him more dear than their own lives, who is always maddened in Krishna-prema, and who is unrecognised as the Supreme Lord only by those of apathetic disposition.
sachi-sunu-prestham nikhila-jagad-istam sukha-mayam
(3) I perpetually worship Sri Nityananda Prabhu, the root of the Krishna-bhakti tree, who is very dear to Sri Sachi-nandana, who is worshiped by the entire universe, who is the embodiment of happiness, whose infinite mercy is the means for delivering the souls who are drowning in the age of Kali, and who by performing Sri-Harinama-sankirttana eradicates the swelling of false pride in the ocean of repeated birth and death.
aye bhratar ninam kali-kalusinam kim nu bhavita
(4) I perpetually worship Sri Nityananda Prabhu, the root of the Krishna-bhakti tree, who said to Sri Krishna Chaitanya, "O brother Gauranga! What will be the destination of the sinful souls of kali-yuga and how will they be redeemed? Please devise a method by which they will easily attain You."
yathestham re bhratah kuru hari-hari-dhvanam anisam
(5) I perpetually worship Sri Nityananda Prabhu, the root of the Krishna-bhakti tree, who, wandering throughout Bengal, approached the door of every home, and with upraised arms exclaimed, "O brothers! Without inhibition all of you together, continuously chant Sri-Harinama. If you do so, I will ensure your deliverance from the ocean of material existence."
balat samsarambhonidhi-harana-kumbhodbhavam aho
(6) I eternally worship Sri Nityananda Prabhu, the root of the Krishna-bhakti tree, who forcibly swallows the ocean of repeated birth and death like the Agastya Muni that made all the oceans dry up by drinking only a palmful of water, who is the rising full moon (the friend of the night-blooming lotus) which causes the ocean of the saintly persons' welfare (their bhavas) to swell, and who is the sun whose brilliant rays dissipate the darkness of ignorance cast by the various classes of miscreants.
natantam gayantam harim anuvadantam pathi pathi
(7) I eternally worship Sri Nityananda Prabhu, the root of the Krishna-bhakti tree, who wandered on every path in Bengal dancing, singing, and calling out "Haribol! Haribol!" and who, inconsiderate of His own self, lov- ingly bestowed merciful sidelong glances upon those who were not compassionate to even their own selves.
su-bibhranam bhratuh kara-sarasijam komalataram
(8) I eternally worship Sri Nityananda Prabhu, the root of the Krishna-bhakti tree, who held the supremely soft lotus-hand of His brother Sri Gauranga Mahaprabhu, whose heart became filled with the highest bliss when they gazed into each other's lotus faces, and who wandered here and there delighting the townspeople with His sweetness.
rasanam adharam rasika-vara-sad-vaisnava-dhanam
(9) May Sri Nityananda Prabhu place His lotus feet in the heart of one who lovingly recites this unprecedented and supremely potent Nityanandastakam, which is full of spiritual rasa, the greatest treasure of the pure devotees qualified to relish such transcendental rasa, and the storehouse of the very essence of such rasa. It bestows liberation to fallen souls who simply remember Nityananda Prabhu's sublime qualities.
THE DIVINE FORM OF SRI NITYANANDA PRABHU
Sri Chaitanya Charitamrita: Adi-lila, 5.181-197
naihati-nikate 'jhamatapura' name grama
Near the town of Naihati, in the village of Jhamatapur, Lord Nityananda Rama appeared to me in a dream.
dandavat haiya ami padinu payete
I fell at His feet, offering my obeisances, and He then placed His own lotus feet upon my head.
'utha', 'utha' bali' more bale bara bara
"Arise! Arise!" He told me again and again. Upon rising, I was astonished to see the beauty of His divine form.
syama-chikkana kanti, prakanda sarira
He had a bright, whitish complexion. He was seven feet tall and had a strong, stout figure like that of a great wrestler. His exalted beauty was just like that of Lord Balaram.
suvalita hasta, pada, kamala-nayana
He had very pleasantly formed hands, arms and legs, and eyes like lotus flowers. He wore silk cloth and a silk turban on His head.
suvarna-kundala karne, svarnangada-vala
He wore golden earrings on His ears, golden armlets and bangles. He wore tinkling ankle bells on His feet and a flower garland around His neck.
chandana-lepita-anga, tilaka suthama
His body was anointed with sandalwood pulp, and He was nicely decorated with tilaka. His intoxicated movements surpassed those of a dancing elephant.
koti-chandra jini' mukha ujjvala-varana
His face was more effulgent than millions upon millions of moons, and His teeth resembled pomegranate seeds because of His chewing betel.
preme matta anga dahine-vame dole
His body swayed to and fro, absorbed in ecstasy, and He chanted "Krishna, Krishna" in a deep voice.
ranga-yasti haste dole yena matta simha
He moved like an intoxicated lion with a strong, knotted bamboo stick in His hand. On all four sides His devotee-associates, dressed like cowherd boys, surrounded His lotus feet like a swarm of bumblebees and chanted "Krishna, Krishna," absorbed in ecstatic love.
singa vamsi bajaya keha, keha nache gaya
Some of them played horns and flutes, and others danced and sang. Some of them offered betel nuts, and others waved chamara fans about Him.
nityananda-svarupera dekhiya vaibhava
Thus I saw the opulence of Lord Nityananda Svarup. His wonderful form, qualities and Pastimes are all transcendental manifestations.
anande vihvala ami, kichhu nahi jani
I was overwhelmed with transcendental ecstasy, not knowing anything else. At that time Lord Nityananda smiled and spoke to me as follows.
are are krsnadasa, na karaha bhaya
"O my dear Krishna Das, do not be afraid. Go to Vrindavan, for there you will attain all things."
eta bali' prerila more hatasani diya
After saying this, He directed me toward Vrindavan by waving His hand. Then He disappeared with His associates.
murchchhita ha-iya muni padinu bhumite
I fainted and fell to the ground, my dream broke, and when I regained consciousness I saw that morning had come.
ki dekhinu ki suninu, kariye vichara
I considered what I had seen and heard, and concluded that Lord Nityananda Prabhu had ordered me to go to Vrindavan at once.
sei ksane vrndavane karinu gamana
That very second I immediately started for Vrindavan, and by Lord Nityananda Prabhu's mercy I reached there in great happiness.
jaya jaya nityananda, nityananda-rama
All glory, all glory to Lord Nityananda Rama, by whose mercy I have attained shelter in the transcendental abode of Vrindavan!
• Sriman Nityananda Dvadasakam
• The Divine Pastimes of Sri Nityananda Prabhu
• The Glories of Sri Nityananda Prabhu in the Scriptures
• Kirtans Glorifying Sri Nityananda Prabhu:
|HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE | HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE|
© 2014-2019, Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math, Nabadwip, India.
Sitemap | Contact us | About us