His Divine Grace Om Vishnupad
Jay Om Vishnupad Jagad-Guru Srila Bhakti Sundar Govinda Dev-Goswami
Maharaj ki jay
I am very happy to see you all by the mercy of Gurudev. I think that everybody is still in lockdown, or quarantine, in their houses, practising Krishna consciousness properly. I am praying to Gurudev, Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Lord Nityananda Prabhu, to please protect all devotees, all our well-wishers. I pray that people all over the world overcome this situation and that it may be good for everyone because this situation actually teaches us patience, tolerance, humility. We can learn so many things if we try to learn.
It is necessary to practise properly and to control all our senses. We sing in the Vaishnav Giti song,
ছয় বেগ দমি' ছয় দোষ শোধি
chhaya vega dami' chhaya dosa sodhi'
"Subjugate the six urges, rectify the six defects, and bestow the six good qualities upon this servant."
Srila Rupa Goswamipad composed a very good sloka in his Upadesamrita:
বাচো বেগং মনসঃ ক্রোধবেগং
vacho vegam manasah krodha-vegam
"A sober person who can tolerate (1) the urge to speak, (2) the mind's demands, (3) the actions of anger and the urges of the (4) tongue, (5) belly and (6) genitals is qualified to make disciples all over the world."
(Sri Upadesamrta, 1)
Those who are dhira (ধীর, who have a good brain, who are highly intelligent, sumedha, সুমেধা) can control, or tolerate, these six urges.
(1) 'Vacho-vegam' means the urge of speech. Is what you are saying related to Krishna consciousness? Is it related to devotional activities? It is necessary to think what you are talking about and to control what comes out of your mouth. You must understand, "Is what I am saying related to Krishna consciousness or is it other, nonsense things?" Try to avoid talking much prajalpa, talking much nonsense. It is necessary to control your speech.
(2) 'Manasa-vegam', or 'mano-vegam' means the urge of mind. Our mind is fickle and always goes everywhere. We can be sitting here, but our mind is wandering everywhere, going here, going there. Sometimes we cannot control our mind—I can be sitting here because of the lockdown, because of the quarantine, but my mind goes to other places. They cannot lockdown our minds—our mind goes everywhere. They can lockdown or quarantine our body, but the mind cannot be quarantined—our minds go everywhere. That is why it is necessary to always control your mind.
(3) 'Krodha-vegam' means the urge of anger. You are sitting here, it is boring, boring, boring, and sometimes you become angry thinking, "Oh, I cannot go out! I cannot do this! I cannot buy that! I cannot go to the market!" Sometimes anger comes, but in this situation you can try to control your anger.
(4) 'Jihva-vegam' is the urge of tongue. Sometimes, the market is open and you think, "Oh, I can buy this, I can eat this, that." I spoke to one non-devotee (they actually come to the temple sometimes, but they do not follow proper rules and regulations, they do some kind of Hinduism), and they complained to me, "Oh, Maharaj, we cannot go to the market!" I said, "Now you are very angry because you are not getting your meat and fish!" These things cause anger. You should control it. Your tongue wants to eat this, this, that, and you cannot control it, but it is necessary to try to control these things.
(5) 'Udara-vegam' means the urge of stomach: you are always hungry, your belly always wants something. And (6) 'upastha-vegam', the urge of genitals, or lust. You know what that it—you must control your lust.
Those who can control, who can tolerate and stop these urges, this kind of influence, who has that kind of symptom in their character—they can control the whole world. That is what Srila Rupa Goswami Prabhu said.
Also, Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur wrote a poem about it:
গুরুকৃপা-বলে লভ’ সম্বন্ধ-বিজ্ঞান ।
guru-krpa-bale labha’ sambandha-vijnana
It means that through Gurudev, by the mercy of Gurudev, you get the relationship with the Lord, and if you are a good practitioner, if you always follow all devotional processes, all rules and regulations, then you will take care of your practising life, you will try hard to practise by controlling these six urges.
বাক্যবেগ, মনোবেগ, ক্রোধবেগ আর ।
vakya-vega, mano-vega, krodha-vega ara
Those who can tolerate these six urges and who take shelter of the Holy Name of Krishna, are always victorious (they can never be defeated) and can control the whole world.
কেবল শরণাগতি কৃষ্ণভক্তিময় ।
kevala saranagati krsna-bhakti-maya
"When you surrender exclusively and become endowed with devotion to Krishna, when rejecting all that is unfavourable to devotion becomes a part of your life, when you can tolerate these six urges taking shelter in proper renunciation, then you will become free from offences to the Holy Name and fearless."
You must surrender to the lotus feet of the Lord and become Krishna consciousness, become devoted to Krishna, and you must always reject that which is unfavourable to devotion.
Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur explains Srila Rupa Goswami Prabhu's verse in this way, it is a very nice expression. I was reading it today.
— : • : —
• Listen online:
|"HUMILITY, TOLERANCE, GIVING HONOUR TO OTHERS | HUMILITY, TOLERANCE, GIVING HONOUR TO OTHERS"|
© 2014-2021, Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math, Nabadwip, India.
Sitemap | Contact us | About us